[Kealie Mardell | Media Coordinator]
Lefties unite! Today is the day to high five your left-handed friends and rejoice together as you continue the battle of living in a right-handed world.
To mark this day of lefthander recognition, here’s 21 of the best things I’ve heard about being left handed. Some are facts, some are fiction, but it’s all in good fun!
1. Lefties make up between 5 to 10% of the population
2. Insomniacs are more likely to be left-handed
3. Lefties are more prone to allergies, migraines, asthma and dyslexia
4. You use the right side of your brain more if you’re left-handed
5. Lefties are more likely to become alcoholics
6. Twice as many men than women are left-handed
7. Lefties are better at multi-tasking
8. 40% of the top tennis players are lefthanders
9. Lefties die on average 4 years (some say 9!) before right-handers
10. Trauma before or during birth increases the chances of a left-handed baby (or increased levels of testosterone)
11. Lefties recover from strokes faster
12. You’re more likely to be creative if you’re left-handed
13. Lefties make better drivers
14. Adjusting to underwater vision is a left-handed perk
15. Lefties tend to draw figures facing to the right
16. Some tribes believe that lefties have magical healing powers
17. Left-handedness is the mark of the devil
18. A leftie never forgets! Left-handedness is associated with better memory
19. Lefties were originally twins, but their right handed counterpart didn’t survive
20. Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin were lefties. Basically we’re a bunch of geniuses.
21. But so were Jack the Ripper and the Boston Strangler, leaving lefties with a serial killer stigma – You can’t win them all!
If you’ve got a left-handed fun fact to share, let us know in the comments or on Twitter @TridentMediaUK!